Children and Pets

Milorganite. For Better Results. Naturally.

Quick Tips

  • Safe for Children & Pets
  • Non-toxic
  • Salt-free- No Pesticides

Nothing in life is more precious than our children.  We make sure Milorganite is safe to put on lawns and gardens where kids play and explore.  It is also safe for your beloved animal companions because we recognize that your pet is a member of the family.

Tradition

Milorganite has been used on family lawns and gardens for over 85 years without harming children, pets or the environment they share.  Milorganite meets the strictest safety criteria applied to fertilizer products.

Non-toxic

Exposure to Milorganite is not dangerous.   There are no ingredients in the fertilizer that cause long term health concerns. 

Salt-free, No Pesticides

Your family will not be exposed to chemical salts or pesticides while playing on a lawn fertilized with Milorganite.  Milorganite is formulated without salts or pesticides.

Pet Safety

Some dogs are attracted to the odor of Milorganite, and may lead to their rolling on freshly fertilized surfaces, eating the product off the lawn, or eating directly from open bags. Remember to store Milorganite out of the reach of dogs. After spreading, monitor your dog to determine their interest in the product. To reduce the attraction we recommend watering your lawn after application and keeping your dog off the lawn for 24 hours.

If your dog has eaten Milorganite, it may cause some discomfort but is not toxic. The manufacturing process of Milorganite destroys pathogens; however eating any product off of surfaces containing pathogens (such as soil or turf) may introduce a source of pathogen infection.

How much discomfort your dog has will depend on how much Milorganite was consumed. Dogs that eat a small amount of Milorganite should not show signs of discomfort.  If a significant amount of Milorganite was consumed your dog may show signs of gastroenteritis because the pellets are coarse and abrasive. The abrasion causes inflammation of the stomach and intestinal lining. Eating too much Milorganite can induce vomiting, which can lead to dehydration, incontinence, atrophy (stiffness in the hind legs), depression and black stools.

To alleviate discomfort, provide liquids, a bland diet, and contact your local veterinarian for instructions on how to manage gastrointestinal irritation. Some may suggest that the high iron in Milorganite is life threatening, however this is not accurate. The iron in Milorganite is not soluble and is not available for absorption in the mucosal cells of the small intestine. Milorganite pellets will pass through a dog’s digestive system causing potential discomfort without being absorbed.